Monday, June 12, 2006

Kickabout:Not dead, just resting!

Can't believe it has been 5 weeks since my last post. Well I can, because the date at the top of the previous post gives it away. Anyway, I have been a busy bunny. I don't knowhow anyone has time to update these things, oh yeah being single helps. Been listening to a lot of new music that a lot of more professional blogs have been pointing me towards. One of my favourite blogs of late has been UNA PIEL DE ASTRACAN from Valencia, Spain. Its all written in Spanish so I can't understand the content but the bands they/she(?) highlights invariably hit the spot. Check it out and you'll find at the moment stuff like Yo La Tengo, You Am I and Ed Harcourt-All faves round here. Thank you, whoever you are(and if you can read this!)

One band I chanced upon on that very blog was a Swedish bunch called I'm From Barcelona. Now since my last post my team were beaten in the European Champions League Final by Barcelona so I was not too happy to see a band proudly claiming they are from the Catalonian capital. But as it turns out they play that great brand of tweeness that the Swedes seemingly always get right. Check them out at their website now and I'll maybe stick some tracks up at some point. Maybe!

Somehow, at some point I was pointed towards a podcast called The George and Baxter Show which I decided to check out. It is hosted, believe it or not by two blokes called George and Baxter. No idea who the George is but Baxter is Baxter Dury, Rough Trade recording artist and son of the late, great Ian Dury. In The two episodes so far they have interviewed Peter Blake(Sargeant Pepper artist)and Don Letts, played music by the likes of Smog, Sparklehorse, Betty Davis, Chubb Rock and had live sessions from soon to be massive Jamie T and an outfit I previously hadn't heard of called Cherry Ghost. Please, do yourselves a favour and download these podcasts now, they really are a treat. Best way to find them is via George and Baxters Myspace.
Then go to Cherry Ghost's Myspace and download whats available and tell your friends you were first to find him/them. Truly classic songwriting.

Ok, finally, with little fanfare here are three albums that have been doing it for me lately. Please look at them all, they won't be up for long. If you like them buy something by the artists and keep these artists happy and able to continue making such great records.

Imaad Waasif - S/T


Absentee - Schmotime

Dert ft Jose Gonzalez - Sometimes I Rhyme Slow


Hope you like it all, I will be back very soon, promise.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Disclaimer

Of course it goes without saying that the files posted here are for evaluation purposes only and if you like what you hear you should go out and buy the artists stuff. At the very least go to a gig, buy a t-shirt or turn someone else on to some great music. Keep Good bands alive!