Sunday, November 02, 2008

Lets see how long this one lasts...........

Still reeling from having my Keane related post removed I have decided to do it all again with a different new release and see how long this post survives.
Before I do so I thought I'd investigate the phenomenon of blogger removing posts and I came across this forum of people with similar experiences of mysteriously disappearing entries. Seems free speech is becoming less free so I'll try my hardest to be most offensive in the following review. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Kickabout's live blog of Slipway Fires, the new opus by Razorlight!!!!

Just to explain briefly, I recently came up with an idea to test myself really, review an album by an artist that I don't like. The first review was of Keane's new one and that was taken down by the powers that be. I was honest, didn't say I hated it and I honestly don't think I was too rude about it but there you go. The idea is to download the album and review it track by track as I hear it for the first time, being as honest and objective as possible. I'm choosing the artists that I dislike the most at the moment cos it seems like fun(???!!!???) Right, here goes,,,,,,,,,

I've switched off my last.fm scrobbler for obvious reasons and we start now


1. Wire To Wire
The first single, heard this loads already. I actually thought it quite pleasant on first lesson, the piano riff reminds me of a couple of Greg Dulli's songs. After a while this song does begin to nag a bit. Cracking lyrics Jonny, "She lives on disillusion row" being a typically meaningless sixth form lyric if you ask me and just short of three minutes later, it's over having taken us the listener absolutely nowhere.

2. Hostage of Love
That is probably one of the worst titles/concepts for a song I've ever heard. Terry Waite of the Heart would be better I reckon. I'm not really listening to the lyrics much but he used the word derision at one point, he is such a great lyricist. And so the song gallops away towards nothingness......

3.Tabloid Lover
Tippy tappy drumsticks backed by a clipped guitar line, Borrell's voice singing about something. Then the drums come in, bit of bass. "We try to live as one, we try to live as one" Then chorussy bit, ooh loud bit, Borrell doing the stadiumy "big" vocals, then.....it fades out, oh

FAG BREAK-I don't know why I'm doing this, I have nothing really interesting to say about this, boring so far, a little annoying actually. Maybe the nicotine will help me out......................

4. Burberry Blue Eyes
Oh God, I have nothing to say about this, musically it's quite poppy. The piano reminds me of the extremely cunty Scouting For Girls, then it fades out, maybe this is just a preview copy. Good!

5. North London Trash
I think this has pretentions to be a kind of Ray Davies character study amnd it certainly plods away like something by The Kinks but it doesn't move me in anyway shape or form.

6. Stinger
Bit of a slow one this. Lighters aloft moment, meaningful to someone I guess, its all bluster. "I don't love you, don't respect you....blah blah blah blah blah......."
I remember before the first album Up All Night came out and this lot seemed like an exciting edgy band, what happened??? Jonny Borrells ego happened and the clamour to fill stadiums is evident in all the output since.

7. You And The Rest
Horrible ba ba bas on this one, I am struggling to say anything. I've read a few reviews of this record, the NME one in particular which gave 4 out of 10, I'm not sure I could put a rating on this record, it leaves me utterly cold.

8. Monster Boots
I am definitely deleting this album straight after I've listened to it, it is one of the most pointless records i've had the pleasure of listening to

9. 60 Thompson
Whatever

10. Blood For Wild Blood
I actually hate this, I've decided. It is profoundly annoying and I can't put my finger on why-this is why I'd never be a music journalist. I really couldn't face listening to this tripe day in-day out and having to give reason to my judgement.

11. The House
Last track, more sixth form poetry. If anyone memorizes these words, someone you know do them a favour, slap them and give them some decent music, anything but this.
Mercifully, its over after nearly 39 minutes but I can't help but feel I could have done something more important, more valuable with those ttwo thousand three hundred minutes like stare at the wall, scratch my arse, play sudoku, read the paper, anything actually. This is another record that I had little interest in before and absolutely none now. I could say something controversial like I hope they die in a plane crash or that Borrrrellll gets back on the smack and has a good old fashioned overdose but I really wouldn't mean that. I'll save my hatred for worthy targets, like The Killers.I was thinking of listening to the new one by Snow Patrol but I think I know what my feelings on that one will be as well. Keane, Razorlight, Snow Patrol etc etc etc careerist middle of the road corporate cock-suck rock can fuck right off. Their record companies can fuck off, and anyone who buys this shit can FUCK RIGHT OFF, these people don't deserve the sense of hearing


>>>>>>>>>>>

So lets forget whats new and shite, whats new and good???
Hearty recommendations for the following................

Alexis Taylor - Rubbed Out
A pretty lo-fi collection from the bloke with the glasses from Hot Chip which has moments of real soul and a cover of Macca's Coming Up.


Little Joy - S/T
A side project from Fab Moretti out of The Strokes in which he plays lovely jaunty songs where he sings exactly like Julian from said day job band. Nice!!!


Cassette Boy - Carry On Breathing
More mash-up/sound collage lunacy from these purveyors of sample crazy genius. Some real laugh out loud moments such as The Lead Thief which cuts up commentary from Match Of The Day to creat a potty mouthed tale of several well know football players and their sexual preferences, hahahahaha!!!

Enjoy them while they last, this post may well self destruct rather soon.


Ta ta for now kids!!!!!

1 comment:

More About The Devil said...

Hey I've had the same problem with the unaccountable blogger removing posts that have MP3s published with the permission of the artist. Today a post which didn't even have a live link was removed with no reason why. Any ideas on how to fight back?

Blog Archive

Disclaimer

Of course it goes without saying that the files posted here are for evaluation purposes only and if you like what you hear you should go out and buy the artists stuff. At the very least go to a gig, buy a t-shirt or turn someone else on to some great music. Keep Good bands alive!